News & Events
- Workshop: VLBI Astrometry and Geodesy in the Southern Hemisphere
Leading researcher Dr Leonid Petrov to run April Workshop
- Possible link between tiny fluctuations in the length of day and large earthquakes
Our 12m radio telescope’s contribution to a recent publication by two American researchers
- Laser scanning of the 30-m radio telescope surface
Recon Ltd conducts laser scanning of 30-m dish
- Royal Society of NZ | 150th Anniversary Regional Lectures 2017
Professor Sergei Gulyaev is the guest speaker in Rotorua, Monday 10 July 2017
- NASA’s SOFIA Observatory visits Christchurch
Dr Jordan Alexander has the ride of a lifetime on NASA plane – 14 July 2017
- Computing for SKA Colloquium 9 to 10 February 2017
MP the Hon Paul Goldsmith addresses C4SKA Colloquium
- NATURE Physics Publication
Collaborative research leads to publication in top academic journal.
- Public Lecture August 2016: Professor Volker Gass, Director of the Swiss Space Center
Visit timed to support the establishment of a New Zealand Space Centre.
- Public Lecture July 2016: Dr Scott Bolton, Principal Investigator for JUNO’s Mission to Jupiter
Special treat for Auckland space mission followers.
- NASA Space Apps Challenge 2016
AUT once again hosts New Zealand’s involvement in NASA’s 48 hour hackathon, joining over a hundred cities worldwide.
- Computing for SKA Colloquium February 2016
The annual C4SKA Colloquium tradition continues.
- New advance in AUT’s 30-m Radio Telescope research capability in 2016
Success in data processing (correlation) shows technique mastered.
- Observatory hosts a rare absolute gravimeter January 2016
Opportunity presents to measure gravity changes over four year period.
- 4th International VLBI Technology Workshop 2015
Over fifty people from twelve countries attended the 4th IVTW in late November 2015.
- Joint IPENZ + AUT Lecture 2015 on the Square Kilometre Array (SKA)
The SKA Project continues to fascinate and challenge scientists, industry and astronomers.
- New Zealand Alliance for International SKA Project: Mid-Year Mini Colloquium
A day of High Performance Computing (HPC) developments for the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) project and beyond.
- International NASA Space Apps Challenge 2015
This year the 48 hour hackathon attracted over 13,000 participants in 133 locations.
- 30-m Radio Telescope ‘First Light’
Friday 4th July was the official launch of the 30-m radio telescope at AUT’s Warkworth Observatory.
- International NASA Space Apps Challenge
This year’s 48 hour hackathon attracted five teams from three universities.
- February Events
- An Astronaut at AUT
IRASR is proudly hosting retired NASA astronaut, and five-time space shuttle veteran, Marsha Ivins on the AUT City Campus on Thursday October 17.
- AUT Space Station App wins NASA Challenge
AUT's computer science team has won New Zealand’s first NASA Space Apps Challenge with a mobile phone application that allows users to share their sightings of the International Space Station.
- Orewa Conference January 2013
Two day conference (and events before and after) enjoyed by all participants.
- Our part in SpaceX
Space travel has entered a new era with commercial interests involved. We are under contract to support missions.
- Location of the Square Kilometre Array
Members of the SKA Organisation announced their decision on the siting of the Square Kilometre Array on 25 May.
- Opportunities at the SKA Organisation Headquarters in Manchester
The SKA Organisation, based in Manchester, are building their team in preparation for the project's increasing work demands.
- A special visitor: Professor Leonid Gurvits
Professor Leonid Gurvits, Head of Space Science and Senior Astronomer at JIVE was at the institute for a 3 week work-visit.
- SKANZ 2012 conference
Pathways to SKA Science in Australasia
Register nowto hear key scientists present on current research!
- First light for the ANZ e-VLBI
Australasia’s first virtual “e-Telescope” came to life in February 2011, when Australian and New Zealand radio telescopes linked together in real time.
- World Summit Awards (WSA) 2011 - New Zealand finalists selected
IRASR is the winner in the category of e-Science and Technology.
- 7-9 February 2011 - Long Baseline Array (LBA) Meeting
The Australian LBA (Long Baseline Array) Annual Meeting was held at AUT University.
- Space Race
'Space Race' video clip featuring Brian Boyle and Sergei Gulyaev advocating Australasia as host site for the Square Kilometre Array.
- International SKA Forum
Strong case made for locating the SKA in Australia and New Zealand
- Telecom New Zealand hands over 30-metre radio telescope to AUT
Telecom New Zealand has handed over to Auckland University of Technology (AUT) its 30-metre Cassegrain wheel-and-track beam-waveguide antenna.
- SKANZ 2010 conference
SKANZ 2010 was a very successful series of events hosted by AUT University from 15 – 18 February.
- Linked telescopes success
First science observations with Australian SKA Pathfinder (ASKAP) telescope in Western Australia and the AUT radio telescope undertaken by VLBI team
- Launch of radio telescope
Years of planning, weeks of shipping, months of on site installation work all synchronised perfectly on Wednesday 8 October 2008.